Sunday, September 20, 2009

Preschool

 
Rachel started Preschool two days after we got here. She was so excited to go and has loved every day of it. At first I will admit that I was a little concerned. One day during the first week of school she told me about some of the kids in her class. I remember she started by telling me that there was a girl named Autumn and that there was a boy named Jeffery. At that point I thought it was just coincidence, but she went on to tell me that there was also a boy in her class named Caden, (I started to wonder...) and a boy named Aiden. Yep, Denial! That can't be coincidence. I knew she was making it up. For the next week she would not tell me the real names of any of the kids in her class. She would only talk about her friends from Texas. Then one day we were leaving her school and a little girl called out, "Bye Rachel!" Her dad turned around to look at us and said, "Oh, that's Rachel?" Then he said to me, "We've heard a lot about Rachel." I found out that his daughter's name was Senali, and as you might have guessed Rachel had not once told me about her little friend. After that I finally got Rachel to start talking about the kids in her class and she would only occasionally throw in a friend from Texas. For instance, she told me that during circle time she sat by Senali. When I asked if there was someone sitting on her other side she said "Yes, his name is Hyrum. He's new in our class." As you can imagine, this make-believe world of hers has brought many opportunities for talks about honesty! Things are going better now and she will actually tell me the names of her friends at school. 

 

7 comments:

San Diego Spendloves said...

Rachel looks so cute and grown up. That is too cute. My kids had a hard time last year too with missing their friends.

I was thinking of you so much on Friday and wishing desparately to have your phone number. I was sewing skirts for our Stake humanitarian aid and everything was fine until I came to sewing the waist. I just hope that there are 2 overweight teens with the need for skirts!

Rochelle said...

Yeah for blogging! I'm so excited.

Emily said...

Rachel looks so big. I'm glad she's talking about her new friends now. For the first two weeks of Max's preschool I would ask what the names of his friends at preschool were and he kept telling me, "They're just people Mom!" One day last week when we were leaving he shouted "Bye Austin!" to a little boy, so apparently they're all named People except for one Austin.

Tara said...

We miss Rachel too. Aiden and Kaylise ask about her all the time but Aiden just keeps telling Kaylise that everyone moved. I'm glad she is enjoying it. I'm also excited for the updated blog!!

April Ashton said...

Rachel and Alina have matching back packs. How fun! So fun to see pictures of Rachel.

The Munk Family said...

That is so cute that she is naming all her friends. We have had a few "where's Racheal" and "I want to play with Toby" moments.
Racheal sure looks ready for school. It's good to hear that you found a school for her.

Elizabeth said...

Rachel is so adorable in those little prairie braids. she looks so old and grown up. James tells me a lot of made up stories about school too...or rather extremely hyperbolized storied. Perhaps it is just their way of coping.